In his 52 Words sermon series, Steve talks about the word follow this week, as he examines the story of Jesus calling the disciples, from Matthew 4:18-22. Here are some ideas to engage your child before, during and after worship.
- Can you draw a picture of Jesus fishing with the disciples?
- Fishing requires strong hands. Trace your child’s hand, and have them color it in with pictures of fish, or lots of followers of Jesus.
- Draw all the different places you go where you can follow Jesus, and be a disciple. (school, home, teams, stores, where else?)
- How many times do you hear the words follow, followed, following or follower in the sermon? (Show your young child how to make tally marks.)
Before or after worship….
- Talk about times you find it hard to follow Jesus. Talk about times you find it easier. How does coming to worship help you follow Jesus?
- Play follow the leader. Then talk about things Jesus did and how we might follow him as the leader. (Look through a picture Bible for some ideas: helping people, talking about God, loving everyone, etc.)
- See the stained glass from another church below. Can you find any fish or boats in our sanctuary windows?