This week in worship Deborah explores the word LAW. Using more Scripture from the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5:17-48, we will hear some old (Old Testament) laws and the new ways that Jesus interprets them. Here are some ideas to explore with your child before, during, and after worship.
- Draw a blank tablet for your child. Can they draw something on it that they hear in the Scripture or the sermon? Can they draw someone keeping (or breaking) God’s law?
- Draw the letters L-A-W vertically. Can your child make more words beginning with those letters that tell about God? (Love? Laughter? Awesome? Wonderful?)
- Show your young child how to make tally marks. How many times do they hear the word law during the sermon?
Before or after worship…..
- Talk with your child about the Ten Commandments, God’s original Law. Can you name them all? Click this link for a handy trick with your fingers to remember all ten.
- The law was given to God’s people as a way to live and love each other, and God. Talk as a family about your own law/rules. What are the most important ways you want to live together as a family? Can you make a list of them together? Take a look at the following pictures for some inspiration.
- Children will enjoy this fun praise song video: “The Ten Commandment Boogie” by Go Fish.